NHS Complaints

NHS Complaints






A complaint should be made within 12 months from the date it occurred or when it came to your attention. In some cases if there is good reason why you could not complain sooner and it is still possible to investigate your complaint, it may be possible to waive the time limit.




Who can complain?


Anyone can complain about NHS services or treatment they have received, or if they have been affected by the actions or decisions of an NHS organisation, or primary care practitioner. If you are unable to complain yourself, someone can act on your behalf with your written consent.



Making a complaint or providing feedback direct to services


If your complaint is about a GP Practice, dentist, community pharmacy or optician you should send this to the practice concerned, or via NHS England, as follows:


Tel: 0300 311 22 33
Email: england.contactus@nhs.net
Post: NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT47


Full details of what you need to provide are found here.



Your rights and how to make a complaint


The NHS Website also gives details of your rights and how to make a complaint.



Support with making a complaint 


The NHS Complaints Advocacy Service is free, independent and confidential. It offers practical support and information on how to make an NHS complaint. This service is delivered by our partner organisation Cloverleaf Advocacy



You can contact Cloverleaf by:


Telephone: 0300 012 4212

Text: 07860 021 502

Email: NHSComplaints@cloverleaf-advocacy.co.uk

Post: Cloverleaf Advocacy, Hesslewood Hall, Ferriby Road, Hessle HU13 0LH



For comments, complaints or praise about NHS services, the complaints page on the NHS Choices website gives details of your rights and how to make a complaint. You can get advice from the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) of the relevant NHS Trust – further details are on their websites.


You can also leave feedback via the Care Opinion website which allows patients to share their experiences of health care. By sharing your experiences this will help improve local health services. You can also read about other people’s experiences of local services.


For comments, complaints or praise about adults and children’s social care services in the Hull, contact the complaints manager at Hull City Council.

If you would like a step-by-step guide to making a complaint about your NHS or social care, you can either download the guides below, or contact us directly for a copy.

Making a complaint to the NHS

Making a complaint about Social Care
NHS Complaints Advocacy Leaflet

Font Resize