Volunteer Support Mentor.
Purpose of the Role.
Healthwatch aims to improve local Health and Social Care services,by using the experiences of service users, family of and carers to identify good and poor practices,as well as gaps in the provision of services. We want to build confidence within the community,that their experiences, whether good or poor, are important, that they should be heard and will make a difference.
Healthwatch Volunteer Support Mentors are representatives of seldom heard groups,and support Healthwatch by using their experience and influence,to build confidence within these groups. They will act as a mentor, assist and encourage the others to become involved in Healthwatch, empowering them to share their experiences, promote the activities of Healthwatch,and get involved in the work that we do.
- Engage with members of seldom-heard groups, ensuring that Healthwatch listens to,and understands the needs and views of the communities they represent.
- Ensure that Healthwatch surveys incorporate of the needs,and views of seldom-heard communities.
- Encourage other members of seldom-heard groups,to provide their experiences to Healthwatch,so we can ensure that local Health and Social Care services,understand and meet their needs.
- Support the direct involvement of individuals,in your represented groups and promote the benefits of volunteering,and the opportunities available at Healthwatch,to other members of seldom-heard groups and the wider communities.
- Promote the Healthwatch Newsletter,and encourage members of seldom-heard groups,and the wider communities to receive updates of Healthwatch activities.
Healthwatch Volunteer Support Mentor will have experience of seldom-heard groups,and are able to represent and engage with these groups. They should also have the following qualities:
- Good interpersonal skills, demonstrating active listening and an open minded, non-judgemental attitude.
- Be approachable and confident when engaging with individuals,from a range of backgrounds,and have a commitment to promoting Equality and Diversity.
- Be respectful, compassionate and supportive of and towards others.
- Be proactive in protecting personal data,and maintaining confidentiality.
- Have an interest in Health and Social Care,and be passionate about making a difference to the lives of others.
- Able to work as part of a team and on own initiative.
- Good written communication skills,including the ability to take notes and write up conversations.
Volunteering opportunities with Healthwatch, for the most part, will be provided Monday to Friday within office hours. There may be occasions however,where volunteering opportunities are offered outside of these times.
There is no time commitment when volunteering with Healthwatch. You are able to choose as and when you volunteer,but we recommend a minimum of five hours volunteering per month,in order to gain the most experience from the role.
There is no set location for this role, engaging with seldom-heard groups can take place across the area,based on their needs however you will feed into Healthwatch,and inform us when and where they are taking place. You can choose what engagement opportunities you want to be involved with.
Disclosure and Barring Service.
You will be required,to undergo an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check for this role. This will be at no cost to you. Having a criminal conviction does not preclude you from volunteering, and each case will be dealt with on an individual basis.
What will you get in return for volunteering with Healthwatch Hull?
- Induction training and training specific to your role.
- Opportunities to access additional training and personal development.
- The chance to develop new skills,and knowledge to assist with career goals, education and training.
- Support and supervision from the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Reasonable out of pocket expenses incurred during the course of your volunteering role.
- The opportunity to be part of a team and to meet new people.
- The chance to have an input into the delivery,of local Health and Social Care services,and make a real difference to the lives of local people
Please click here to download the role description in Word format. You can also click here to download an application form. Alternatively, you can complete the volunteering application form online by clicking here
If you have any further queries,or need any assistance in completing an application form, please contact Gareth Fletcher on 01482 595567 or by email: email@example.com