Why Might An IMCA Also Be Involved?

A person who is deprived of liberty under a standard authorisation – and their unpaid RPR – have a statutory right of access to an IMCA if they wish to challenge the authorisation. It is the responsibility of the supervisory body to instruct an IMCA if requested by the individual or their RPR.

The IMCA can provide extra support to get the best possible use of the review process and the Court of Protection if needed. They can help you to understand:

  • why the person meets the criteria for authorisation
  • how long the authorisation will last
  • any conditions to which the authorisation is subject.

If there is a gap in appointment of an unpaid RPR (for example one family member no longer wishes to continue in the role and the local authority are seeking another family member/friend to take on the role) an IMCA can be appointed to provide support on a short-term basis. In these circumstances the IMCA role is the same as the RPR role.

Font Resize