Which NHS Services Are Covered?

Independent Health Complaints Advocacy covers any problems that people have experienced with NHS services including: Hospitals Doctors Dentists Pharmacists Ambulances Treatment paid for by the NHS but delivered outside the county.

What Does An Independent Health Complaints Advocate Do?

An Independent Health Complaints Advocate can: explain the complaints process. help you to identify your options and who to complain to. help you with forms, writing letters and emails. help you to explain your concerns and go to meetings with you regarding your complaint. help you to progress your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health … Read more

Why Might An IMCA Also Be Involved?

A person who is deprived of liberty under a standard authorisation – and their unpaid RPR – have a statutory right of access to an IMCA if they wish to challenge the authorisation. It is the responsibility of the supervisory body to instruct an IMCA if requested by the individual or their RPR. The IMCA … Read more

Paid RPR

In cases where no friend or family member is willing or eligible, a paid representative will be appointed. Their role is the same as an unpaid RPR.

The Role of The RPR

RPRs must have regular, face-to-face contact with the person being deprived of their liberty, to ensure that their interests are being safeguarded. This means that the hospital or care home where the person is staying (the managing authority) should allow you to visit them at reasonable times. As the RPR, your name should be recorded … Read more

How Can An IMCA Provide Support?

An IMCA can be involved in supporting and representing people who may be subject to the DoLs. They can: be instructed to support an individual who is to be assessed (in response to a request for a standard authorisation), or if there is a concern about a potentially unauthorised deprivation of liberty. support individuals who wish … Read more

What Is a Deprivation of Liberty?

Following the decision of the Supreme Court in March 2014 in Cheshire West, there are two questions to ask: Is the person subject to continuous supervision and control? Is the person free to leave? The focus is not on the person’s ability to express a desire to leave, but on what those with control over … Read more

Who Can Be Subject To a DOL’s Authorisation?

The MCA DOLs applies to anyone aged 18 and over: Who suffers from a mental disorder such as dementia, a profound learning disability or other neurological conditions (for example as a result of a brain injury), who lacks capacity to give informed consent to the arrangements made for their care and/or treatment. Who, following an … Read more

How Would An IMCA Work With You?

The IMCA will support and represent you in discussions to work out whether the proposed decision is in your best interests. The IMCA provides information to help work out what is in your best interests and to help with this they consult widely with people who know you, and those involved in your health and/or … Read more

You Have The Right To an IMCA If

You have been assessed as lacking capacity to make certain important decisions at the time the decisions need to be made you have nobody else to support or represent you, or to be consulted (other than paid staff). An IMCA must be instructed, and then consulted, in relation to the following decisions: An NHS body … Read more

Font Resize