Purpose of the Role.
Healthwatch aims to improve local Health and Social Care services,by using the experiences of service users, family of and carers to identify good and poor practices,as well as gaps in the provision of services. We want to build confidence within the community,that their experiences, whether good or poor, are important, that they should be heard and will make a difference.
Community Champions are crucial in our ability,to lay the framework to developing strong relationships,within the community. Community Champions are active members in their community,and will seek out opportunities,to engage with other local and seldom groups, they will be the face of Healthwatch to these groups,and build their confidence in us, encouraging them to support our mission,and promote our service to members of their community.
- Research local groups,and identify opportunities where Healthwatch can become more involved.
- Engage with local groups on their own terms, promote the mission of Healthwatch to the community, and enable their voice to be heard by encouraging them,to complete and promote our survey.
- Encourage feedback from the community about our survey,and assist in its development to ensure it is robust.
- Identify local stories (whether that be Health and Social Care service related,or good news stories) and bring to the attention of Healthwatch.
- Promote the Healthwatch Newsletter and encourage people to receive updates,of Healthwatch’s activities through social media platforms.
- Ensure that Healthwatch promotional material is maintained,and readily available within the local community (eg. GP and Dentist surgeries, Pharmacies and so on)
- Undertake training appropriate to the role.
You do not need any specific experience or knowledge to volunteer with Healthwatch. Instead we ask that our volunteers can demonstrate the following attributes:
- Good interpersonal skills, demonstrating active listening and an open minded, non-judgemental attitude.
- Be approachable and confident when engaging with individuals,from a range of backgrounds,and have a commitment to promoting Equality and Diversity.
- Be respectful, compassionate and supportive of and towards others.
- Be proactive in protecting personal data,and maintaining confidentiality.
- Have an interest in Health and Social Care,and be passionate about making a difference to the lives of others.
- Able to work as part of a team and on own initiative.
- Good written communication skills,including the ability to take notes and write up conversations.
Volunteering opportunities with Healthwatch, for the most part, will be provided Monday to Friday within office hours. There may be occasions however,where volunteering opportunities are offered outside of these times.
There is no time commitment when volunteering with Healthwatch. You are able to choose as and when you volunteer,but we recommend a minimum of five hours volunteering per month,in order to gain the most experience from the role.
As Community Champions will be building relationships,with local and seldom groups, they are encouraged to schedule any activities,with other groups on dates they would normally be available to volunteer,and to ensure they inform the Healthwatch Hull office of any such activities arranged.
There is no set location for this role, any events that a Community Champion,would be involved with can take place anywhere across the area,.
Disclosure and Barring Service.
You will be required,to undergo an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check for this role. This will be at no cost to you. Having a criminal conviction does not preclude you from volunteering, and each case will be dealt with on an individual basis.
What will you get in return for volunteering with Healthwatch Hull?
- Induction training and training specific to your role.
- Opportunities to access additional training and personal development.
- The chance to develop new skills,and knowledge to assist with career goals, education and training.
- Support and supervision from the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Reasonable out of pocket expenses incurred during the course of your volunteering role.
- The opportunity to be part of a team and to meet new people.
- The chance to have an input into the delivery,of local Health and Social Care services,and make a real difference to the lives of local people
Please click here to download the role description in Word format. You can also click here to download an application form. Alternatively, you can complete the volunteering application form online by clicking here
If you have any further queries,or need any assistance in completing an application form, please contact Gareth Fletcher on 01482 595567 or by email: email@example.com